Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fingers crossed.

So, my initial title was going to be 'Best Possible Scenario!' but there are just too many doctors. This is a teaching hospital, and my situation is strange...so I have a senior resident, an intern, the supervising doctor, a radiologist, an endocrinologist, and many different nurses. What a struggle. The three main doctors all have different opinions. They overlap a good amount, but some prognoses are definitely better than others.

The best possible scenario is that since I have diabetes indipidus and take a synthetic hormone, my water retention doesn't adjust properly to changing temperatures and exertion levels. My medicine had been retaining too much water causing it to store free water all over my body. The dehydration from Wednesday caused the nausea and lightheadedness. The excess water in and around my liver is causing the pain in the upper right quadrant of my stomach. I'm going to stop taking my medicine for a little bit and hope that the excess water storage and pain passes. That would be great if that were the case! Unfortunately, all the tests they've run don't seem to indicate such a simple answer. Alternative prognoses involve adrenal gland dysfunction or gall bladder infection. We'll just have to wait and see. Since it's Sunday, it has been extremely slow moving. Struggle.

I've been holding off on posting this to see if I get any more information. I haven't seen a doctor in a long time, so I probably won't be getting any more information. Also, in the time I've waited, my stomach pain has gotten much much better. Isang and Chacko came to visit, which was super duper nice! It's awesome that a friend of Chacko's friend was willing to drive an hour out to pick them up and drive back. My dad is driving them back to camp and will also pick up my stuff. It was great to see some friendly faces and have a good laugh. Seriously, I have met some of the most amazing people on this trip, and I'm sad to have to go. On a more positive note, I finally ate solid food and no nausea! It's still in my bloated tummy! :).

All in all, today has been a great day. Things are looking up. I don't know how my backpacking trip and Scotland are going to come along, but I'm just going to take things one step at a time. At this point, it is highly unlikely that I will be returning to the bike ride. As of right now, my dad is returning to Vegas tomorrow since he has business there, and I have a flight on hold to fly back home provided that I get discharged in time. I'll just have to go from there. So many options for my 17 day adventure with Chelsea...! We could continue with the original plan and hike an average of 19.3 miles a day, bike from New York to Asheville, attend Tucker's Adventure summer camp, or my favorite option, BIKE TO AFRICA! :)

My night nurse just brought me a brownie and milk. I like her already. Unfortunately, she's coming back in an hour to poke me for more blood. :(

Come on body! You can do it! Fix yourself! ...please?!

Love from PA,
Suzanne

-update-

The new nurse didn't poke me. She used my IV needle instead. :).

-update 8/3-

So, I had it wrong. Geauga University Hospital in the middle of nowhere Ohio discharged me as dehydrated twice, but I was never dehydrated. I was actually over hydrated all along. I had hyponatremia. It's kind of funny because USA triathlon just sent out an article about it. The symptoms are dead on.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/multisport-zone/fuel-station/hyponatremia-in-endurance-athletes

5 comments:

  1. suz! this just sounds awful. i'm so sorry you didn't get to finish your ride, but i'm glad you're at least feeling better. and you would already be talking about backpacking to who knows where ha but keep us updated, I'm keeping my fingers crossed with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, I'm sounding like a broken record, but you really are amazing. I really admire your optimism. It's so infectious! And it's so funny and very Suzanne-esque that you're planning the rest of your adventure from your hospital bed. I'm thinking of you. Rest up and get well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, you're the strongest girl I have met. I am sure your body is working hard to get back in top shape for your upcoming adventures. What you're experiencing sounds like a a challenge, but nothing Suzanne Bay can't overcome :-). I wish you the best in the next few days. (Can't believe summer is almost over)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! crazy inspirational story so far .. i really am sorry that you weren't able to finish, but looks like you've got a lot left to do so that's great. hope you get well soon to get all that done.

    and PLEASE bike to africa!!!! you'll LOVE the roads (and potholes) in uganda!!

    -eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww suzanne i am so sorry to hear about this! you are so brave and so strong, and i am hope you get well soon so you can tell me all your crazy stories back at Duke!

    <3 Neha

    ReplyDelete