Sunday, July 11, 2010

Badlands and Prairie Dogs

Today we rode through the Badlands National Park, and I got to see prairie dogs. The first 75 miles were great and smooth sailing. I was riding with Sue, George, and Todd. We had a great tailwind, and the weather was just perfect. It almost reached 90 later in the day, but it ended up cooling off. It was so neat to enter the Badlands. One moment you're in the middle of a prairie and all of a sudden there are these great rock formations surrounding you. Some of it looked like a beach, some like the desert, and some looked like it could be part of am golf course. We stopped short of the 75 mole check point to try and find the cafe recommended on the cue sheet. Unfortunately, it was no longer open, so we continued on our way to reenter the Badlands National Park. I was really surprised by how many people were visiting! I never would have considered South Dakota as a hopping tourist spot.

Andy and I climbed on of the rock formations, which was pretty neat. I ended up getting a ton of mud stuck in my cleats, which was bad news bears. But Frank found a flat head screw driver to scrap it out. Of course I went into the visitor's center to look for a pin. Success! I also got some more postcards. I really have no idea what I'm going to do with them all. Apparently George is making a 400 sq. ft. picture using only certain colors from the postcards. Oh, George. He's also trying to teach me all his knowledge about ultra lightweight backpacking...15 lbs. Hmmm, I don't think that's going to happen, but it's a nice thought. There were a bunch of grasshoppers on part of the route today, and he stopped to eat some. Yuck. I have a feeling part of his ultra lightweight backpacking entails eating some food that I don't want to eat. Struggle.

Sue, George, and I stopped at a historic prairie homestead outside the Badlands. I got another pin, and I got to see prairie dogs! There were so funny because They really weren't scared of me. The display of the house, barn, cellar, and farming machines were also really great and authentic looking. All I can say is boy am I glad that I live in the 21st century!

The last 20 miles were tough. George held back with another group, and Sue kicked my butt. She's such a strong rider! Since it wasn't a true headwind or crosswind, we were trying to figure out the best way to draft off each other. Luckily the road wasn't too busy so we ended up kind of riding side by side. I was so glad to make it into Kadoka. I was dead, and my pinky toe on my right foot really hurt. Yeah, lame...I know. And I'm a baby. It really felt like it was broken or dislocated, but it's actually fine. I think my shoes were too tight and putting pressure on some nerve. Struggle.

When Sue and I got in, there were just enough people to start unloading the truck. Haha, my lucky day! As soon as everything was out, it started to drizzle. We all got our tents up just in time! I just got out of the shower, and dinner is in 45 minutes at a local diner. Unfortunately I don't have AT&T service or wifi since we're camping in a park. AT&T has actually been really lame on this trip; they need too step up their game. :p

Hopefully I'll be able to post this soon. Tomorrow is a 95 mile ride, and it's supposed to be tough. We're heading north, and the winds are supposed to be coming from the north. Struggle. Oh well, we'll just take our time and enjoy the trip.

(301) night runs in the summer (302) red fire hydrants (303) touch screens (304) high chairs (305) card stock (306) big sweatshirts (307) touch screens (308) truly free range chickens (309) countryside (310) backyard gardens (311) boo boo bunny (312) freckles (313) greasing and dusting cake pans (314) drinking out of jars (315) sugar (316) turning points in life (317) big red barns (318) candy (319) purple potatoes (320) not smoking (321) free parking (322) starry skies (323) the key to a magic trick (324) "knock, knock" jokes (325) silly supper

No comments:

Post a Comment