Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh, we're halfway there!

Halfway halfway though the day!

The winds were so much better today, but my legs were not having it. My body is not very happy with me right now. I guess that is to be expected after my minimal training...whoops. Regardless, I still averaged around 20 mph for the 77 miles today from Miller to De Smet thanks to the winds and relatively flat roads. I started out with a big group, but then dropped off to ride by myself after the first check point. I was just not feeling like being Speedy Gonzalez for the next 60 miles. I held back, and I listened to some Glee and 90s music on my phone. I actually even ended up calling my mom when I got service. Yes, I am quite talented. I can ride my bike at 20 mph and talk on the phone. :p.

Lunch was around mile 41, and it marked the halfway point across America! Yay team! Unfortunately it's not halfway for me since I started late, but it's still cool to be geographically halfway across the country.

I left lunch on my own, and something didn't feel right. I had forgotten my biking gloves! Struggle. I decided that I didn't need them, so I just continued on my merry way. I skipped the last check point kind of by accident. Frank saw me so it was all good. I passed Janet on the way to camp, and we ended up beating the gear truck. Soon after, Andy, Isang, Chacko, Tim, and Sam rolled in. We decided to check out Laura Ingles Wilder's house since it was only noon and had time to kill. I got another rockin' pin to add to my collection and some more postcards. The pin is a bulldog with the name Jack on it. I don't remember that character from the books, but oh well, it's another pin! :).

Andy, Chacko, Tim, Sam, and I went to a local diner to grab lunch #2. We went back to camp with the gear truck already unloaded. Score! I set up my tent, took a shower, and then headed back to the diner to use their wifi, which is where I am now. It's crazy how bad AT&T service is out here! It's nonexistent.

The diner is actually closed now, but they're being nice and letting Isang and I stay until they completely close up. They're catering dinner for us! We've met such nice people along the way. I really can't believe that we're halfway! I've been having the time of my life, and I don't want it to end! I still have 24 more days and then 2.5 weeks of backpacking, so there's still plenty of fun ahead.

Tomorrow we're leaving South Dakota! Minnesota here we come!

Lots of love,
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment