Wednesday, July 28, 2010

No pedestrians. No bikes.

Today we biked 90 miles into Sandusky, OH. Home of Cedar Point amusement park. In order to get to the amusement park, you have to cross over a bridge, which doesn't allow walkers or bikes. Struggle. We (Kristin, Andy, Toby, Chad, and Tim) took a cab even though our campsite was less than 2 miles from the park.

This morning I started out with Isang and Chacko, and Isang and I sang Disney songs together. After the first checkpoint, the roads started to flatten out, but I dropped my chain up the one hill. I put it back on, and then I just took off. I had a quick lunch, and then I continued on my way to Sandusky. The wind changed to be sorest of a tailwind, which made for an even faster ride. I made it in before the truck, so I stopped at a cute little scrap booking shop and bought some ribbon. I had less than 3 miles to camp, and I bumped into Sue, Todd, and Izzy. We rode into camp together and unloaded the truck. I set up my tent, showered, and came up with a plan on how to get over the no walker and biker bridge.

We got to the park around 2:30, and it was quite hot. The lines weren't too bad. It took about an hour to get on the Raptor and an hour to get on the Millennium even though EMS had to come get someone who passed out from heat exhaustion. I probably named those roller coasters wrong, but I don't feel like looking up the actual names. We got to ride on the Power Tower drop and shoot as well as the Himalaya ride. The Himalaya ride kind of just went it a circle and the bigger rider was supposed to be on the outside. I was on the outside of Tim. Struggle.

Then came my breaking point. It started raining and the lightening stopped the Dragster, which was a the highest and fastest roller coaster at one point. Now it's the second tallest and second fastest. Once the rain let up, we decided to get in line outside of the ride so that we could be first when it reopened. Well, it turns out that not everyone left the line so we were not quite up front when we entered. The line moved rather slowly, and we ended up waiting close to 2 hours to get on the 30 second ride. Struggle. Luckily the announcer, Alan, was quite entertaining- enthusiastic and stoic all at once. Fantastic.

By this point it was 8, and I was hungry and tired. The quality amusement park chicken fingers and fries just were not satisfactory. I decided that I was ready to go, but my amusement park enthusiast friends were not. I called the cab to leave on my own. The driver made it sound like the cab was already there, so I rushed out of the park after buying a pin, of course. Well, 30 minutes later it started pouring and the cab still was not there. Finally the taxi arrived and by this point I was hysterical and bawling. The poor cab driver probably didn't know what to do with me. I was just so tired and hungry and cranky and irritable and just not any fun to be around. Finally composed myself enough to tell her where I needed to go and apologized for my irrational behavior. She agreed to wait for a minute for me to call the other people in the park to see if they wanted to leave since it was raining. I couldn't get ahold of anyone, so we just left.

I got a hot pocket at the KOA general store, and I felt a little better. Then I brushed my teeth and went to bed. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment