Sunday, July 18, 2010

Plus five bonus!

So, it is official. I cannot read directions to save my life. I was riding by myself this morning, and after the first rest stop, I missed the turn to avoid a 9% grade hill. Oh, what a struggle. I realized that I was not supposed to go up the hill after riding longer than the cue sheet said the turn would be. I didn't want to ride down after making the climb, so I thought in would just get myself back on route on my own. Poor life choice. I asked a couple walking on the sidewalk for directions to 14 East. They pointed me in the right direction, and I thought I was golden. Well, the highway was super busy- much busier than anything we're ridden on so far. I kept going thinking that the shoulder would widen or the traffic would lighten. Neither occurred, so I decided it might be best to just turn around and retrace my steps...and go down the 9% grade. As I was riding in the wrong direction on the highway, Bridgette rode by and pulled over. Boy was I glad to see her. I was a little worried that I was going to get in trouble for riding against the flow of traffic or not being on route, but she was very nice and comforting. She told me that I was heading the wrong way, and the direction that I was initially riding was correct. She said that I had just gotten onto the highway about 10 miles early. So, I had the pleasure of continuing on the busy highway, but I eventually got back on route. Believe it or not, I was still the second person to the lunch stop even with my little detour. I guess everyone got late starts today.

After breakfast number two or lunch, we rode through Waseca. It was 10:30, and I rode by a Catholic church that has a mass that started at 10. Since I've been in a funk recently, I decided to attend the last half of mass. It usually calms me down and helps me put things in perspective. I just stood in the back and went through all the motions, but I didn't really feel any better afterwards. :(. Since it was a short day, the next check point was only a few more miles down the road. David joined us today as support, which I forgot to mention earlier. Isang rode in a few minutes later, so we walked over to a cute little drive-in fast food place for root beer floats and tater tots. Tim, Sam, and Evonne played mini golf while Isang, Chacko, and I watched.

After watching a few holes, I decided that I was ready to complete the final 15 miles to Owatanna. Oh man, that was a struggle. The roads were dreadful and the trucks were just plain rude. I was riding down a hill full of potholes and cracks and boom! I went into a big crack and all the contents from my handlebar bag bounced out, including my camera. Oh poop. I slammed on my brakes and skidded to a halt. I guess I was crusing pretty fast. I put my bike down and retraced my path to gather my belongings. I found everything very easily except for my camera, and when I finally found it, it was half detached. I'm happy to say that I think it still works. It's a little disconnected, and the screen is cracked. But, it turns on, zooms, and takes pictures! Good deal. Better my camera than me. :). I continued on my way but had a very hard time going straight. I stopped to check out my handlebars, and it turns out that my front tire was flat. Lovely. I pulled to the side, and I successfully changed it all by myself! I guess you could say I'm pretty proud of myself for changing not one but two flats! :p

After that little incident and getting lost earlier today, I decided to take it very easy to prevent anymore mishaps. Tim, Evonne, Sam, and Chacko caught up to me as I was very carefully maneuvering around anything and everything that could potentially be hazardous...basically the entire road. Oh, struggle. I followed them into camp, and I was safe! :).

There's a Hallmark across the street, so of course I had to go in to try and find a pin. They didn't have any Minnesota pins, but I got a guardian angel pin to protect me from flats. :). I also got a fun little button for the rest stops, a few cards, and a keychain for Cilla's collection.

We had dinner at the grocery, HyVee. And Isang and I got Brad a lovely gift. We were going to get him super sized marshmallows just for kicks, but we found a 90th birthday balloon on the way. We just had to get that for him instead! Earlier in the trip we had a cake sent to him at a restaurant for his 80th birthday. We also attached a pint of phish food ice cream since it's easy on his dentures. ;).

Now we're just chilling out at the Steele County fair grounds where we're camping. I think I'm going to relearn how to play ucker (you-ker, I have no idea how to spell it.)

Peace, love, and root beer floats,
Suzanne

2 comments:

  1. euchre? haha, i remember playing that with matt and doing the cow milking thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That awful road you were sounds like every single road here in Durant :( It is impossible to bike here! Plus, once you get 5 or so miles out of town (if you can make it that far without getting a flat or killing yourself from a pothole), all the roads turn to dirt roads. Struggle.

    Can't wait to see you suzy- I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete