Friday, July 16, 2010

Struggling but still smiling

Today was and is kind of a struggle, but it's all good. I think I'm just really starting to miss home and being with my family. I get like this during the school year, and the littlest things start to get to me. I started out the first 40 miles with Sue, George, and Izzy. I was pulling as we entered a little town, and I passed Chuck. It was tough to pass him though because he was speeding up. I got around him and thought I was holding pace, but I guess not. He jumped on the line and then zoomed off angry once we got out of the town that was less than a mile long. I was going over 23 mph uphill, so I don't really understand how I was slowing him down that much. Regardless, he was pretty mad at me about it, and I felt horrible. I also messed up last week for not yelling on your left loud enough when I was pulling a long train of people. That situation was handled much kinder, so it didn't bother me as much.

So after making Chuck mad, I felt bad and wanted to cry. Yes, it's kind of a silly thing to cry about, but I was just sad. So, I left the lunch stop on my own, and I just took things at my own pace. It still ended up being pretty fast with a nice little tailwind and pretty flat roads. I was averaging 22 mph as of mile 60. My water bottle fell out of the back again, so I turned around to pick it up. I saw Tim back a little way, so I waited to let him pass. With only 10 miles left and it only being 11:30, Tim and I decided to coast into New Ulm.

We beat the gear truck, so we decided to explore a little downtown. Oh man, this town is hilly! We biked about 3 miles put to Target where I got Gatorade and was finally able to get cash back! There wasn't anything very exciting, so we headed back to Martin Luther College, where we're staying.

We unloaded the truck, moved into our rooms, and ate sweet corn and watermelon from Evonne's sweet parents. Isang and I were planning on walking the 2.5 miles to Target and the grocery and free wifi in Perkins, but it was hot and hilly. We found a cute little cafe downtown, and we got root beer floats and mac and cheese. Yummy yummy. There was also free wifi as a bonus. This is when I noticed that my medicine that keeps me from getting dehydrated had leaked all over my backpack. And it was my last bottle since another one had leaked earlier in the trip. Talk about struggle. Amazingly, there was a Walgreens less than a mile from where we were, and they had a bottle in stock! This is incredible because (a) I have not seen any Walgreens on this trip so far and that's where me prescription is and (b) they actually had the medicine in stock! The problem came when I found out that it was too early to refill my prescription, and since they didn't have a 90 day supply, my insurance didn't fully kick in. Well, the nice lady at Walgreens had a little chat with my insurance company, and I was able to get the one bottle as lost/spilled medicine. Plus, I got it at a little bit below the price without insurance. Great! I'm going to try and keep the medicine with Frank, the support guy. The rumble strips and milled roads are not friendly to twist off caps. I might even super glue it shut if I ever make it to Target. I also really want to bake and give Chuck apology cookies. I guess I have all day tomorrow.

Anyway, by the time I found out that I could get the medicine, it was about 4:30 with dinner up the hill at the school cafeteria at 5. Of course I got sidetracked on my way over and found a cute little store that had handmade recycled jewelry. I also found a random department store with a really random assortment of clothes. I found rompers for $5, and I just had to get matching ones for Isang and me. I got myself a pink one and decide to spare Isang from the embarrassment just a little by getting her a black one. They are also bedazzled. They are quite fantastic.

With these little detours, I was running really late for dinner, so I called Jerry's taxi service to come pick me up. Yeah, a little sketch but it worked. After dinner, Chacko, Isang, Izzy, Kristin, Timmy, and I went to go see Inception. We got there super early since it was opening night. That totally was not necessary but better safe than sorry. The theater wasn't really air-conditioned, and there weren't even cup holders between the seats. Pretty ghetto-fabulous.

I'm not going to lie. I'm super stoked for the rest day tomorrow. My legs could definitely use it, and there's a polka festival in town. How fun! I also need to do laundry and clean my bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment